Encore is dedicated to creating an environment that's safe and fun for all
These rules are subject to change on with little to no advance notice. In the event of a discrepancy between these rules and the referee’s call, the referee’s call will be the final authority.
- Roster changes must be made through the Eventbrite registration form online
- Changes can be made until Friday, September 21 @ 11:59 pm.
Number of players per team
- Each team must have a minimum of 4 players and a maximum of 9 players, including a goalie
- All games will be played with 3 players and 1 goalie
- All co-ed teams shall have a minimum of 1 female player (not including the goalie) on the court at all times.
Games will be scheduled in 40-minute increments, as follows:
- 5 minute warm-up
- 15 minute first half
- 2 minute half time break
- 15 minute second half
- 3 minute buffer
- A faceoff will only occur at the start of each half, or at the referee’s discretion if the ball is knocked out of play and it is not clear which team touched the ball last.
- After all goals and when the goalie freezes the ball, the play must start behind net of the team that was on defense.
- All players from the team that was on offense must back up to at least 5 feet in front of the defending team’s net.
- Once the player touches the ball behind the net, the ball is considered live and in play.
- All player substitutions will be made on-the-fly.
Continuous movement of the ball
- At all times, the ball must be kept moving while in play.
- This means that a player or team cannot sit behind their own net with the ball in order to run down the clock.
- If the referee determines that a player or team has no intention of moving the ball, the referee will give a 3-second count.
- If the ball has not been moved within that count, ball possession will change teams.
- No time outs in regular season games
- One time out per game in playoff
- If a team is winning by 8 or more goals on or after half-time, the mercy rule will come into effect and the score will be finalized at that point in time.
Ties and shoot-outs
- During regular round-robin, games can remain tied after regulation time.
- For playoffs, games will have a sudden-death 5-minute overtime, followed by a 3-round shootout, if necessary.
- If a team does not show up for a scheduled game within ten minutes of its start time, that team is considered to have forefeit the game with a score of 1-0.
- You may not pass the ball with your hand to a teammate in any zone of the court.
- A hand pass will result in loss of possession of the ball.
- Slap shots are only permitted in the competitive division.
- A slap shot is defined as any shot with a wind-up at waist level or higher.
Kids and youth
- Divisions for ages 6-17
- No restrictions on number of male/female players
No restrictions on number of male/female players
adult Rec Co-ed
A minimum of 1 female must be on the court at all times
A minimum of 2 females must be on your roster
Any player age 18+ may play in this division
No restrictions on number of male/female players.
- For players ages 35+
- All penalties result in one penalty shot for the opposing team.
- The following infractions are considered penalties: hooking, tripping, slashing, roughing high sticking, cross checking, body checking, pushing/shoving, interference, unsportsmanlike conduct.
- Coincidental or offsetting penalties will not result in a penalty shot for either team.
Any player involved in a fight will be automatically ejected from the tournament. This a family-friendly event and there is zero tolerance for any kind of fighting.
At the discretion of the referee, a serious, deliberate, or intentional penalty may also result in ejection from the game. If a player is ejected from the game, the opposing team will receive an additional penalty shot.